Site maintenance finished

Phil Gyford

I've spent the evening trying to work out why "Internal Server Errors"
are generated so often when annotations are posted. I've tried
simplifying the templates Movable Type uses to generate the site's
pages, to the point of reverting to the software's default, very
simple, templates. Although I saw some improvement I was still seeing
errors around 10-20% of the time.

I think that the Recent Annotations page was one of the bigger causes
of the problem, and for the moment that page won't be updating. I
realise this is annoying, and before long I may find a way of creating
this that doesn't impact on the comment-posting process.

In the meantime, please be patient. I've posted a message to ProNet,
and hopefully someone will have some ideas there. I'd be interested to
know if you find things better or worse sense I switched off the
Recent Annotations page -- post your thoughts below or to the new
discussion group.

http://www.pepysdiary.com/about/archive/2006/06/29/6473.php

Phil
--
http://www.gyford.com/

dirk_vandeputte

Phil, we do appreciate everything you have been doing to make the
site work -- but for me at least things are worse now than they were
before.

I find myself unable to post anything -- at least that's what it
looks like while going through the procedure -- but when I check
afterwards I find my annotation did go through everytime I clicked
the button. Sorry for this mess.
http://www.pepysdiary.com/archive/1663/06/29/#53418

As for the "Recent Annotations" page, this was always the first page
I went to (after reading the day's diary entry) to find out what was
new -- so I miss it, but that can't be helped...