Sam and sleep patterns

Eccena@...

   Sam is still quite young. I think he's charged by his life and his work.

   He amazes me with how much, and far, he travels and gets accomplished
   between "betimes" and his midday dinner. Not many present day Londoners could cover a
   as much territory and make as many contacts as he does daily. No wonder he sleeps
   through sermons on Sunday.

   ( Please excuse present tense.)

Susan Thomas

We have had discussions before the amount of sleep Sam has and how he
sleeps. I have just been reading on the BBC website about the campaign
to introduce siestas which maintains having an afternoon nap was a
universal practice until the industrial revolution and the beginnings
of the tyranny of the production line. Do we have any evidence of this
in the Diary? I do not have that impression. What do others think?
Here is the url for the article which started this train of thought.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/5122184.stm

Terry Foreman

Susan, et al.
I'm not sure there is evidence otherwise of siestas in the cooler northern Europe or its N American colonies before the industrial revolution. Most farmed anyway, and they made hay while the sun shone.

Terry

At 02:48 AM 7/1/2006 +0000, you wrote:
We have had discussions before the amount of sleep Sam has and how he
sleeps. I have just been reading on the BBC website about the campaign
to introduce siestas which maintains having an afternoon nap was a
universal practice until the industrial revolution and the beginnings
of the tyranny of the production line. Do we have any evidence of this
in the Diary? I do not have that impression. What do others think?
Here is the url for the article which started this train of thought.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/5122184.stm

Yahoo! Groups Links