Mayflower 400 years: How many people are related to the Mayflower pilgrims?

Terry Foreman

Dorothy Willis <dorothyswillis@...>

I’m descended from William Brewster.

Dorothy Willis

From: discussion@pepysdiary.groups.io [mailto:discussion@pepysdiary.groups.io] On Behalf Of Terry Foreman
Sent: Saturday, August 7, 2021 4:52 PM
To: Terry Foreman <terry.foreman@...>
Subject: [pepysdiary] Mayflower 400 years: How many people are related to the Mayflower pilgrims?

Guy Consterdine

That’s very interesting, Dorothy.

Here in England we are realising how many of us are descended from the Normans who invaded in the 11th century. For instance, my wife recently learned, through research by a nephew, that she is directly descended from William the Conqueror.

Guy

From: discussion@pepysdiary.groups.io [mailto:discussion@pepysdiary.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dorothy Willis
Sent: 08 August 2021 12:14
To: discussion@pepysdiary.groups.io
Subject: Re: [pepysdiary] Mayflower 400 years: How many people are related to the Mayflower pilgrims?

Dorothy Willis

From: discussion@pepysdiary.groups.io [mailto:discussion@pepysdiary.groups.io] On Behalf Of Terry Foreman
Subject: [pepysdiary] Mayflower 400 years: How many people are related to the Mayflower pilgrims?

It is fun to know you are related to someone in the history books.  Your wife, or nephew, was lucky to find a record.  Although the population was a lot smaller back then, less information was written down and a lot of that has been destroyed.  If we had complete information, I bet we’d all be cousins! 

Dorothy

From: discussion@pepysdiary.groups.io [mailto:discussion@pepysdiary.groups.io] On Behalf Of Guy Consterdine
Sent: Sunday, August 8, 2021 4:39 AM
Subject: Re: [pepysdiary] Mayflower 400 years: How many people are related to the Mayflower pilgrims?

Here in England we are realising how many of us are descended from the Normans who invaded in the 11th century. For instance, my wife recently learned, through research by a nephew, that she is directly descended from William the Conqueror.

Guy

From: discussion@pepysdiary.groups.io [mailto:discussion@pepysdiary.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dorothy Willis

Dorothy Willis

Guy Consterdine

You’re right, Dorothy, about huge gaps in the records. Fortunately for my wife’s nephew’s research, their descent from William the Conqueror went through generations of nobles and wealthy families for whom records were kept, until relatively recently when the records of ordinary folk were more complete. Unfortunately the aristocratic titles and wealth did not descend as far as my wife Margaret!

Perhaps your William Brewster was also descended from William the Conqueror or one of his nobles? As you say, we might be distant cousins.

On one of our visits to the USA my wife and I visited Plimouth Plantation (Margaret was a history teacher, teaching among other things American history up to Watergate), and were impressed by the reconstruction of the settlement, with people dressed in the clothes of the time.

Guy

Sent: 08 August 2021 15:37

It is fun to know you are related to someone in the history books.  Your wife, or nephew, was lucky to find a record.  Although the population was a lot smaller back then, less information was written down and a lot of that has been destroyed.  If we had complete information, I bet we’d all be cousins! 

Dorothy

From: discussion@pepysdiary.groups.io [mailto:discussion@pepysdiary.groups.io] On Behalf Of Guy Consterdine

Guy

Dorothy Willis

San Diego Sarah

That's nothing:  An international group of geneticists studying Y-chromosome data have found that nearly 8 percent of the men living in the region of the former Mongol empire carry y-chromosomes that are nearly identical. That translates to 0.5 percent of the male population in the world, or roughly 16 million men, are descendents from Ghengis Khan are living today. -- as ofFeb 13, 2003

Best,
Sally

Sally Johnson
THOUGHT FOR TODAY: 

"Gossip is charming!  History is merely gossip.  But scandal is gossip made tedious by morality." -- Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)   

I beta read 17th century English historical novels.  I have studied those scandalous Stuarts for 30 years, so if you are writing such a novel, let me help you. 
==========

On Sun, Aug 8, 2021 at 8:48 AM Guy Consterdine <guy@...> wrote:

You’re right, Dorothy, about huge gaps in the records. Fortunately for my wife’s nephew’s research, their descent from William the Conqueror went through generations of nobles and wealthy families for whom records were kept, until relatively recently when the records of ordinary folk were more complete. Unfortunately the aristocratic titles and wealth did not descend as far as my wife Margaret!

Perhaps your William Brewster was also descended from William the Conqueror or one of his nobles? As you say, we might be distant cousins.

On one of our visits to the USA my wife and I visited Plimouth Plantation (Margaret was a history teacher, teaching among other things American history up to Watergate), and were impressed by the reconstruction of the settlement, with people dressed in the clothes of the time.

Guy

Dorothy

Guy

Dorothy Willis

We might be!

Thank you to your wife for attempting to teach American History to British schoolchildren.  I was shocked when a well-educated Englishwoman visited us and when I pointed out a road near us called “Old Oregon Trail” she had no idea why the name was significant.  There is work to be done!

Dorothy

Sent: Sunday, August 8, 2021 8:48 AM

Guy

Dorothy

Guy

Dorothy Willis

Explains a lot.

Dorothy

From: discussion@pepysdiary.groups.io [mailto:discussion@pepysdiary.groups.io] On Behalf Of San Diego Sarah
Sent: Sunday, August 8, 2021 9:29 AM

That's nothing:  An international group of geneticists studying Y-chromosome data have found that nearly 8 percent of the men living in the region of the former Mongol empire carry y-chromosomes that are nearly identical. That translates to 0.5 percent of the male population in the world, or roughly 16 million men, are descendents from Ghengis Khan are living today. -- as ofFeb 13, 2003

Best,
Sally

Sally Johnson

THOUGHT FOR TODAY: 

"Gossip is charming!  History is merely gossip.  But scandal is gossip made tedious by morality." -- Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)   

I beta read 17th century English historical novels.  I have studied those scandalous Stuarts for 30 years, so if you are writing such a novel, let me help you. 

==========

On Sun, Aug 8, 2021 at 8:48 AM Guy Consterdine <guy@...> wrote:

Guy

Dorothy

Guy

Dorothy Willis

JERRY BERG

The question then becomes; exactly where does the name Oregon come from? Alexander Mackenzie followed the Eulachon (candle fish) Trail out through the Chilcotin to the Pacific. The 'trail' were trails and were numerous. The oil was traded into the Prairies (on both sides of the border) and was a vital winter nutritional source for all natives. Lewis and Clark followed their own trail a few years later. Fried, eulachons are tremendously tasty! Unfortunately, exceedingly rare these days.

• In 2001, archaeologist Scott Byram and David G. Lewis published an article in the Oregon Historical Quarterly arguing that the name Oregon came from a Western Cree pronunciation of the Chinook Jargon word oolighan (see eulachon), referring to grease made from fish, a highly prized food source for Native Americans of the region. Allegedly, the trade routes brought the term eastward.[18]

GJB

On Sunday, August 8, 2021, 02:01:05 p.m. EDT, Dorothy Willis <dorothyswillis@...> wrote:

We might be!

Thank you to your wife for attempting to teach American History to British schoolchildren.  I was shocked when a well-educated Englishwoman visited us and when I pointed out a road near us called “Old Oregon Trail” she had no idea why the name was significant.  There is work to be done!

Dorothy

Guy

Dorothy

Guy

Dorothy Willis

LOL!  I don’t care where the name “Oregon” came from, although I enjoyed this material, but as the Oregon Trail was the primary artery by which the western half of the continent was settled, it seems to me to deserve mention in a Survey of the History of the United States.

Dorothy

From: discussion@pepysdiary.groups.io [mailto:discussion@pepysdiary.groups.io] On Behalf Of JERRY BERG
Sent: Sunday, August 8, 2021 4:25 PM

The question then becomes; exactly where does the name Oregon come from? Alexander Mackenzie followed the Eulachon (candle fish) Trail out through the Chilcotin to the Pacific. The 'trail' were trails and were numerous. The oil was traded into the Prairies (on both sides of the border) and was a vital winter nutritional source for all natives. Lewis and Clark followed their own trail a few years later. Fried, eulachons are tremendously tasty! Unfortunately, exceedingly rare these days.

·         In 2001, archaeologist Scott Byram and David G. Lewis published an article in the Oregon Historical Quarterly arguing that the name Oregon came from a Western Cree pronunciation of the Chinook Jargon word oolighan (see eulachon), referring to grease made from fish, a highly prized food source for Native Americans of the region. Allegedly, the trade routes brought the term eastward.[18]

Eulachon

The eulachon (/ˈjuːləkɒn/; Thaleichthys pacificus; also spelled oolichan /ˈuːlɪkɑːn/, ooligan /ˈuːlɪɡən/, hoolig...

GJB

On Sunday, August 8, 2021, 02:01:05 p.m. EDT, Dorothy Willis <dorothyswillis@...> wrote:

We might be!

Dorothy

Guy

Dorothy

Guy

Dorothy Willis