Eating eels, electing bean kings and Roland the Farter: part of the medieval Christmas and New Year festivities

Terry Foreman

Mark Byfield

I found that very interesting Terry....
It was the Eels that caught my eye at first being a jellied eels aficionado! ( I have a great book... The Englishman and the Eel)
Thanks for the link...
This was also interesting and at the same time humorous!

Mark.

Roland the Farter

A real person, probably a jester at the court of Henry II of England (who reigned from 1154 to 1189), Roland’s festive duties consisted of making a jump, a whistle, and a fart (bumbulum in Latin) before the king. He must have impressed his audience and patron since he was rewarded with an estate of some 12 hectares in Suffolk.