Adam Smyth · The ‘R’ Word: For the Love of the Binding · LRB 4 November 2021

Phil Gyford

A review of Book Ownership in Stuart England by David Pearson, which includes a brief mention of Pepys:

https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v43/n21/adam-smyth/the-r-word

And there’s an accompanying website: https://bookowners.online

Book Owners Online is a directory of historical book owners, with information about their libraries, and signposts to further sources. It currently has entries for over 2100 British owners from the 16th to the 18th centuries, and is being expanded. Feedback from users is welcome, via the site or our Facebook group.

Rene Asch

Like being in a historical literary candy shop.
Thank you, Phil